"For I know that I am fearfully and wonderfully made in You...You make it Beautiful Somehow"

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Citrus and Coconut Sugar Scrub

Just before mother's day I began searching for some homemade beauty products that I could make that would pamper my mother and mother-in-law. I found several wonderful and easy recipes, and today I am going to share my favorite. While perusing Pinterest I found a DIY Citrus Salt Scrub from adelynSTONE. Her recipe is very simple, few ingredients, and quick to make. Love it. I already had everything on hand except for the sea salt. So I made one adjustment and changed it from a Salt Scrub to a Sugar Scrub.

Ingredients: 

1 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Coconut Oil (melted)
1/2 tsp lemon juice or zest. (I did a little of both.)
Mixing bowl & Spoon
Small Jar with a lid

How to make your own Sugar Scrub:

Pour sugar into a mixing bowl. Add coconut oil a little at a time, mixing thoroughly with the sugar as you go. Once mixed completely and evenly add the lemon juice/zest to the sugar mixture and stir. Place into jar (I doubled this recipe and put it in a pint jar), seal with lid and add ribbon for gift giving...or keep for yourself and enjoy!


How to use your Sugar Scrub:

After washing your body in the shower apply scrub where desired. I love to use this on my elbows, knees, and especially my heels and feet. Scrub in a circular motion. Rinse clean. You could also simply fill up a small tub of warm/hot water and ask your sweet hubby to give you relaxing foot massage with your sugar scrub! Rinse clean and pat dry with a towel when done. Follow up with your favorite moisturizing lotion.

Benefits of a Sugar Scrub:

-exfoliate and remove dead skin
-softens dry skin
-super moisturizing
-gives you a healthy youthful glow

Variations: 

Make this scrub to your liking.
Use Sea Salt for a more coarse scrub
Use olive oil, vegetable oil, or almond oil
Add in some orange zest along with the lemon
Add in some coconut shavings

This scrub works wonderfully! It is very exfoliating and leaves my skin feeling so soft and smooth. I love it! Then add in the fact that I know all of the ingredients that are in it and it is cheap to make...this really is a win, win, win!!!


Linked to Living Green

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lorissa,

    Thanks for the recipe!

    I'm always on the lookout for home made alternatives to store bought products.

    I've been using coconut oil for cooking for a while but never thought of using it for things like this!

    I've been experimenting with alternative home-made haircare recipes and sharing the results weekly through my newsletter recently and I'll be using coconut oil soon. If you're interested in seeing how it turns out then sign up at my site.

    I'll also definitely be giving your recipe a go (I could always do with healthier skin!)

    Cheers again,

    Rob

    Natural Shampoo Kits

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! And so easy to make! I think I'll be trying it this week, and I'm pinning it! Thanks for sharing with us at Tiny Tip Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love homemade body scrubs! they are so wonderful. your recipe is great. love the idea of adding coconut shavings!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...