"For I know that I am fearfully and wonderfully made in You...You make it Beautiful Somehow"

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Natural Cleaning: Lemon Dusting Cloths



Today I am going to share my super easy, and frugal, Lemon Dusting Cloths recipe. I really do hate to use Pledge. I hate the smell of it. I hate the way it cleans. I just all around don't like it. Plus, after reading the back of the can, which has at least three or four warnings plus the list of chemicals in it, I decided to find a more natural option. I was thrilled when I found this post for Lemon Dust Cloths at Growing Home.

So here is the recipe...(I love recipes that I already have everything to make it in my pantry!)


1 Cup Vinegar
1 Cup Water
1 tsp Olive Oil
1 Lemon Rind
2-3 Microfiber Cloths
Jar with a lid

Directions: Mix the vinegar, water, and oil, in a bowl. Soak your microfiber cloths in the solution, squeeze out excess water, and place in the jar with lemon rinds wrapped around.


I usually make my cloths up in the morning some time and let them set till the afternoon when I am ready to dust. I like to let them sit for a while so they take on that wonderful lemon smell rather, than a strong vinegar smell.

Microfiber cloths are wonderful to use since they are great at trapping dirt and dust. You can pick up a pack of three, wash cloth size, at the Dollar Tree. The olive oil and lemon are wonderful at polishing furniture, wood baseboards and door frames, and even fan blades.

Give it a try! I have been thrilled with the results and the wonderful fresh lemon smell!


Update: I completely forgot to add...don't throw your lemon rinds away after you are done with your cloths! Leave them in your empty jar and add white vinegar, filling it to the top. Screw the lid back on and allow to set for about a week. The result will be lemon infused vinegar which you can then use for your Kitchen & Floor Cleaner and Bathroom Cleaner!

Linking to Frugal Days Sustainable WaysRaising HomemakersHealthy 2Day WednesdaysTeach Me Tuesday, and Tiny Tip TuesdayLiving Green

29 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I absolutely love it! It works so great! I even used them this morning to dust my kitchen cabinets which now shine :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Lorissa! I found your blog on Raising Homemakers and I love it and your Etsy! This week I've been praying about finding contributors for my blog, The Cheap and Choosy, and I felt confirmation to at least ask you if you might be interested in being a monthly contributor. I am looking for other women who enjoy blogging about simple, frugal, and intentional living, and who share my world view as a follower of Christ. I would be happy to put a button ad for your Etsy on the sidebar as well. You can email me at cheapnchoosy at gmail dot com. if you would like more information. I am making The Cheap and Choosy a community site and plan to use the proceeds for materials for my Etsy shop, Seams to Streams, for wells in Africa. No worries at ALL if you're not interested!!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a neat idea...I have lemon vinegar and orange vinegar I have made...I think I might try it with that and see how it works out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you tell me when you say lemon rinds, you are meaning the peel right? Your picture is so beautiful it looks like big Lemon wedges with the pulp and everything still there?? Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...just the peel :-) It is amazing the wonderful smell it gives and it helps to polish too.

      Delete
  5. Hi! I saw this post on Frugally Sustainable. This is a great idea, I can't wait to try it. I hate Pledge too and I've been dry dusting since the last can ran out (which means the dust magically comes back after about 5 minutes!). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! I can smell the lemon just looking at the picture. How long can you store the cloths like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually end up using them the same day I make them...but I have let them set for about 2 days before (I meant to use them that day but never got around to it). I think storing them for too long could cause mold though. Thanks for stopping by :-)

      Delete
  7. I think I found your blog through Frugally Sustainable. So glad I did. I am trying your homemade oxi-clean as I type! Really like this idea and love that you can use the lemon rinds for infused vinegar. Love love love infused vinegar - I have grapefruit, orange and lemon sitting under my sink at the moment.
    Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Kristina! I love infused vinegar too! I have never tried grapefruit before but it sounds wonderful.

      Delete
    2. Hi Kristina and Lorissa,

      I am loving this blog! Will be trying the dusting cloths next week, and am sure it will work great!

      I recently tried the orange infused vinegar, which works great for disinfecting and shining/oiling my counter tops, but my fiance despises the scent and said he would prefer the plain vinegar smell over the orange infused. So in my hunt to shorten household cleaning time I was wondering if either of you found that the lemon is more pleasant than the orange. I'm also open to other suggestions for infusion.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Hey Lorissa, I have a quick question for you. Do you just wash the cloths afterwards and then continuously use them each time you make this or do you throw them away after one use? I was just curious.

    Thanks! Also, I'm really excited for Advance Church. (I'm Chris' brother, if you remember me.) I'm so anxious to see what God's going to do in Houston with you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do remember you Andrew :-) It was great to meet you and your dad in Kansas.

      About the cloths...I definitely wash and reuse them! I use them to clean just about everything in my house, so they serve many functions. You just don't want to use any fabric softener on microfiber cloths when you wash them.

      Delete
  9. That's a great idea. I will probably cut up some worn out microfiber shirts to swifter size, and do this. I have a log house and the logs are a bear to keep dust free, and this would do the trick. I never buy swifter cloths but us cut up dust rags for the purpose, but I never thought of adding lemon oil. Great tip. I shared in with my FB fans, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea to cut up the old microfiber shirts! And thanks for sharing! :-)

      Delete
  10. This is so neat! I love cleaning with microfiber cloths, so this is great. Thanks for linking up at Tiny Tip Tuesday :) I'm pinning this for the immediate future :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! And thanks for the link up...I really think your blog is fantastic!

      Delete
  11. Good Morning,
    What a great Mixture. I have made it already this morning after making Lemon Coconut Breakfast Bars!
    I also posted your recipe and Blog address on my Website and Facebook ! You have Great tips from the Perfect ONE. ALL of Creation is for us to use! Thank yo for sharing your storues and heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks again for linking up to Make Your Move Mondays. I made these and your floor cleaner this week. They were great! I loved the smell and the shine! I hope to see you again on Monday!

    Tara @ Simply Made Home

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is awesome! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lorissa, this was such a great post! Super easy, frugal and natural! Thanks so much for linking up at Living Green! We are featuring your post this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just added your link to my website for your Dusting Cloths. I have had it on my website (tips page)for a year, but I am making a new site with better connections. Thank yo9 for a Great tip ! I use this method All the time. I put in two cloths at a time. One for the upstairs and one for the downstairs. I squeeze out the vinegar back into the jar then when I am done dusting I rinse them out with water and put them back in the jar for a second round.
    www.TheCookingClubPA.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...