"For I know that I am fearfully and wonderfully made in You...You make it Beautiful Somehow"

Sunday, July 22, 2012

All Purpose Cleaner Revisited: Infused Vinegar

Today I am going to share my second favorite short cut I have found in making cleaning products. In my very first post ever (found here) about making your own cleaning products I share my super simple All Purpose cleaner. It is hands down my go to, favorite cleaner! Honestly, it is not hard to make and doesn't even take up much time. But one thing I have realized since being pregnant is that I do not like the smell of vinegar. It never bothered me before, but I am struggling with it now. I always added lemon to the gallon of my water vinegar solution to give it a fresh lemon scent. But that just wasn't cutting it for this sensitive nose.

Solution: Lemon and Orange Infused Vinegar

What you need:
-2-3 whole lemon and 2-3 orange rinds
- 2 old spaghetti jars or canning jars with lids
-Vinegar

What to do:
Place the lemon peels into the jar, pour vinegar in and fill to the top. Repeat with orange peels in a separate jar. Put lid on and let solution sit for 3-5 days before first use. The longer it sets the better. It will begin to change color over time. Lemon will become more yellow, and orange will become more brown.

Once it is ready to use grab a spray bottle and add 2 tablespoons of your lemon infused vinegar and fill the rest of the way with water. You are now ready to clean! 


Infusing the vinegar this way will give it a much more pleasant lemon or orange smell! My nose certainly does appreciate it! 


Additional notes....


You can do lemon, orange, lime, or grapefruit...get creative and use smells you enjoy. I am sure this would work with just about any citrus peel!


 

12 comments:

  1. I never think to make infused vinegar, but it does make a lot of sense! I think that I might try it! We make our own cleaning products too, so much cheaper, and then I don't mind the kids helping :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love that I don't have to worry about it around my kiddos!

      Delete
  2. What are you cleaning with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much everything! Kitchen counter tops, floors, tables, bathroom sink, mirror, toilet, and shower! It is wonderful!

      Delete
  3. This is such a good idea! I just found your blog and became a new follower (: Can't wait to come back for more posts...Hope you have a lovely week!!

    Michele xoxo
    The Homesteading Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! We always clean with vinegar and water, but never thought to infuse the vinegar. Great tip... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought of this before...actually, never heard of this before. Thank you for sharing. I will definitely be giving this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to do this asap! I love natural home products and making them myself. Please come hang out and link up to our link party "Home is Where the Heart is" Please feel free to link up any posts you might want to share! :)
    http://www.homesteadsimple.com/home-is-where-the-heart-is-link-it-up-wednesdays-3/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got some started today...thanks so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I use vinegar quite a bit, but now I'm going to have to try it with the lemon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...