"For I know that I am fearfully and wonderfully made in You...You make it Beautiful Somehow"

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Daddy Had To Have One Too...

When my hubby came home the other day for lunch (the day of his first softball game) I showed him Jack's new classic baseball t-shirt he quickly announced..."I want one!"

Now, I have never made a shirt for my hubby before. Usually because I am taking his shirts and making them into things for the little man. But also because my hubby is growing out of his clothes so it is hard to take something that is too small on him and make it bigger to fit him.

But, I knew he wanted one...and I really wanted to see if I could even make one. So I went digging through his side of the closet once again.

...and I came out with a white t-shirt that currently fits him, and an old baseball style t-shirt from college that no longer does.

I took out my handy dandy scissors and got to cutting up that old shirt to make a pattern...

Thirty minutes later....and...



TADA! Chad's new...fits him perfect...classic baseball t-shirt! With 3/4 length sleeves :-)

It was surprisingly easy, easy, easy to make!

Here is how ya do it...

Grab...

1 White t-shirt that currently fits your man
1 old...no longer fits...baseball style shirt to use as a pattern
(possibly one more t-shirt...color of your choosing...see directions below)

Next...

Cut up your pattern shirt at the seams. You will have a front, back, two sleeves and a neck.

You can make a pattern from the shirt or use the shirt as your pattern like I did.

...lay the front part of your pattern shirt on the front of your white t-shirt like so...



Take a pen and trace around the top edges of the pattern. Next cut out the top of the shirt. You are going to want to leave the sides in tact other wise you are going to be creating unnecessary steps and actually shrinking the shirt.

Repeat this step for the back of the shirt...



and cut out. You should now have a front, back, and left over sides/sleeves and neck.

For the sleeves...

The baseball t-shirt that I had cut up for my pattern did not fit my hubby any more...in his tummy. But the sleeves still fit perfectly! So I cut them down the seams and made a pattern from them so I can use it again in the future.

Then sewed back up the seams and attached those sleeves directly to the white t-shirt. No additional t-shirt required :-)

Now if the sleeves on your hubby's shirt doesn't fit him either then you are going to need one more shirt in whatever color you want, that you can cut out sleeves from. Just line up the bottom of your pattern with the bottom of the t-shirt so you don't have to hem the edge of the sleeves.

Next attach the sleeves and neck line the same was as in Jack's classic baseball t-shirt...

and you are DONE!

So much easier than I had expected it to be! Now it is time to make one for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...