"For I know that I am fearfully and wonderfully made in You...You make it Beautiful Somehow"

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Frugal and Simple Laundry Week: Homemade Dryer Sheets and Fabric Softener


To continue with our Frugal and Simple Laundry Series, today I will be sharing my version of reusable fabric softener sheets.

I loved Bounce dryer sheets. I loved the way they smell and how they make my clothes feel! I had never considered changing to anything different. I honestly didn't even know there was another option.

But, there is! Believe it or not, you don't have to buy dryer sheets, a dryer bar, or anything else to put in your dryer ever again.

Homemade Dryer Sheets



Here is what you will need...

-1 bottle of liquid fabric softener
-1 spray bottle
-1 wash cloth
-Water

Step 1: Pour 1 cup of liquid fabric softener into the spray bottle.

Step 2: Pour 2 cups of water into the spray bottle. Swish mixture around in the bottle. Try not to shake, it will cause bubbles.

Step 3: Spray mixture onto wash cloth till very damp. Not soaked just damp all over.

Step 4: Toss into dryer with clothes. Shut the dryer door and turn it on!

That same wash cloth will last you about 3-4 loads before you need to spray it down again! Using this method, your bottle of fabric softener will last a loooooooong time! It works perfect. It softens your clothes, removes static cling, and leaves your clothes smelling oh so good!

To make this method even cheaper...you can make your own fabric softener!

Homemade Fabric Softener


Here is what you will need...

-2 Cups of cheap Hair Conditioner (yes you read that right)
-3 Cups of White Distilled Vinegar
-6 Cups of Hot Water

Step 1: Mix Conditioner and hot water together until conditioner is dissolved.

Step 2: Add vinegar to conditioner and water. Mix.

Step 3: Store in a container of your choice (you can reuse an old fabric softener bottle). Use your homemade fabric softener exactly like you would the store bought version! You can spray it on your homemade dryer sheets or add directly to the wash!

The great thing about this is that you can pick which ever scent of conditioner you like!

If you want a more natural and even cheaper version...simply add 1/4 cup of white distilled vinegar to the rinse cycle in you washer. It will soften your clothes and remove static cling just like store bought fabric softener. The vinegar smell washes completely away, however, obviously with this version you wont get a flowery or fruity smell like you would with the conditioner added.


These are both incredibly easy to make and store. You now have one less thing to buy, and one less thing to throw away (those little dryer sheets will sit in a landfill. Forever.). 

Tomorrow I will be sharing simple tips on managing laundry, and including your kids in the process!


Enjoying Beautiful Somehow? Then I would love if you would look up to the right hand side and click on "join this site" or subscribe to posts to make sure you don't ever miss a post! 




5 comments:

  1. cool ideas...you can make your own citrus vinegar to give it a nice smell...it's really easy...you just use peels from oranges,limes or lemons, put them in a container....cover with vinegar...store in a cool dark place for 2 weeks...then stain the vinegar into a container...you have a nice smelling vinegar to use in your cleaners...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! Great minds must think alike because I do that exact thing! I use my citrus vinegar in all my cleaners and for absolutely everything...floors, kitchen, bathroom, you name it! It works great and smells amazing!

      Delete
  2. Forgive me if this is a dumb question but I am new to the DIY scene.. I love the laundry ideas that you have but I am wondering if a preservative would need to be added since you are adding water and that can create a breeding ground for bacteria. I read that on a comment someone left on a different blog that was about making body wash from a bar of soap.. Basically just grate a bar of soap and add water and glycerin. I know they are two different projects but it makes me wonder because of the water. Thank you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly have never heard this before. If you are worried about something like this happening you could always make up a smaller batch. :-)

      Delete
  3. yes, or use distilled water....thats what I do

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...