"For I know that I am fearfully and wonderfully made in You...You make it Beautiful Somehow"

Friday, April 13, 2012

"No Poo" 30 Day Challenge Update


Fed up with frizzy, dry or oily hair? Curious and a little terrified as to what the 30 day "No Poo" Challenge is? Check out The Challenge and make the commitment to natural and healthy hair! 

Week 3 of the "No Poo" 30 Day Challenge

This week has been a much better one for my hair than the last two. I can tell it is slowly starting to regulate the amount of oil it needs to be making. My hair feels and looks better! I have noticed this week, that my curls are becoming more defined and less frizzy.

I am currently using...

1tbsp of Baking soda + 1 Cup water
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar + 1 Cup water

I also use the ACV as a leave-in conditioner, instead of rinsing it out. My ends are super dry and need the extra boost. It is making a difference!

I saw a hair repair recipe on Frugally Sustainable's Facebook that I decided to give a try this week....


Not 100% sure I love the results yet. It left my hair feeling very, very greasy. I was disappointed after the first wash with it. I am waiting it out though, it seems like after my last wash I was able to get more out and my hair feels softer, but still pretty greasy. We will see, not sure if I will try it again. Time will tell. Give it a try if you want and let me know your results with it. Is there any other recipes you use?

Here is how my week went..(starting from last Friday)

Week 3:

Friday: Did not wash hair. Hair is not oily on top. Hair feels soft and curls are more defined.

Saturday: Did not wash hair. (Don't worry I am still showering every day! Promise!) Hair is super duper oily and greasy! Yuck! We were at the park all day and got rained on...maybe had something to do with it. Maybe not.

Sunday: Washed Hair. Hair looks awesome. Finally! Hair is very curly, soft, and clean.

Monday: Did not wash hair. Lightly wet hair with a spray bottle to reset the curls. Worked great.

Tuesday: Did not wash hair. Sprayed with bottle to reset the curls. Hair looks and feels wonderful. So happy with results today!


Wednesday: Tried hair repair recipe. Hair feels super greasy! Yuck. Recipe is very hard to wash out. Not sure if it takes a few washes to get it all out. Pulled back in a bun for the day.

Thursday: Did not wash hair. Hair is still greasy from recipe yesterday.

Friday: Decided to wash my hair a day early due to greasy feeling from hair repair recipe. Finally got it feeling clean after this wash. Hair feels soft. Maybe the recipe worked after all. Still not sure if I will try it again.


How are you doing going Poo free? Any progress? Struggles? Share below! I would love to hear from you!






12 comments:

  1. I am trying to decide if I should try this again! I was doing this a year ago and then had a bad experience with a home conditioning recipe that I could not get out! I went back to Redken. I am thinking of trying again.

    This is a great post. It would be awesome for a new blog party I am starting this Monday at Simply Made Home called “Make Your Move Monday.” I would love to see posts like this from you that would encourage others to live both naturally and simply.

    Tara @ http://simplymadehome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely go for it Tara! I have never been happier with my hair! It took me about two really good washes to finally get all of the hair repair recipe above out. It scared me for just a moment. However, after it all washed out my hair felt so soft!

      I would love to join your blog party! See you on Monday!

      Delete
    2. When you are spraying your hair to reset the curls are you just using water? I read somewhere about a little sugar in it (wait that may have been for hair spray.)
      Tara @ http://simplymadehome.blogspot.com/

      Delete
    3. I just use water...it helps my curls reset since they get a bit wonky after sleeping on them at night. And yes I have read that too about using sugar in water for hair spray...I believe you could also substitute it for salt. I haven't tried it yet but I intend to :-)

      Delete
  2. Just wanted to say thanks for the thorough updates. I've been at it for 2 weeks now and I tried an egg wash (egg, some milk and honey mixed together) for a wash and then ACV dilution with honey mixed in for the rinse. You've got to do the egg with COLD water or you'll have scrambled hair! did it the past 2 washes and I think the waxy buildup of too much BS or maybe just me adjusting seems to have cleared a bit. I can't seem to go more than every other day on washing though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hhmmm...I have never tried egg before, interesting! I can just imagine trying to pick scrambled eggs out of my hair, ha!

      Delete
  3. On the hair repair treatment: Olive oil is really hard to wash out of your hair! Try using your conditioner to get it (sounds crazy, but it works!) and make sure your water isn't too hot. You could try substituting jojoba or coconut oil too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the tip! I took like three washes to finally get it all out. I do plan on trying coconut oil soon :-)

      Delete
    2. Where do you find coconut oil or jojoba? Is that a food or in the pharmacy?! Lol

      Delete
  4. Hi I was researching all this no poo stuff. My week two is currently finishing. My hair is disgusting...seriously sooo oily...baking soda doesn't help...and I do water washes in between. So tempted to give up. I stopped using shampoo because I started experiencing problems fiew years ago, my scalp would get really itchy, and I would something like spots. Usually it would be at the back but this time it was on the top starting from the front hair line...it was so bad that i had to stop using my shampoo. And the worst that christmas eve is coming..don't know how to solve this. I am planning to try boiled water for washing as my water is quite hard. I really want this to work. Can this adjusment period be so bad???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry! One more question. Do you use any curling products for your hair? or just let it air dry? When I get out of the shower if I let it air dry, the tangles are horrible, so I comb through them (I rinse out the acv rinse), and somehow the curls just don't curl very nicely. Just curious how you are treating your hair after the wash/ rinse?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do I have to wash my hair every day with the "hair repair recipe"?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...